Forum FlexPro – Discuss your topic!

Speeding up running average calculations

Home > Community > Automation and VBA > Speeding up running average calculations

Ansicht von 4 Beiträgen - 1 bis 4 (von insgesamt 4)
  • Autor

During execution of a programme, the running average of a dataset seems to take a very long time to calculate.
    I first tried to get the code to program a running average by recording a macro and to use it in a modified form in my own code. The problem is that I can record it but I can not execute the macro. It crashes on the line that sets the ‘Interval width’ => ‘WindowSize’.
    This is the recorded macro:
    ActiveDatabase.ActiveFolder.Object(“Mean”).Select False
    ActiveDatabase.ActiveFolder.Object(“Mean”).Select
    ActiveDatabase.SelectedObject.WindowSize = 500
    Application.UpdateAll

Therefore I use the following formula:
    .Formula = “Mean(‘DataSet’ ,MEAN_ARITHMETIC + CALC_RUNNING, 500)”

This works but is very slow for bigger datasets, especially if the averaging window is big. Is there any way of speeding up this process?

Bernhard KantzBernhard Kantz
    Teilnehmer

The macro stops with an error because the generated code is not correct. We will remove this issue. The correct code should be:

ActiveDatabase.SelectedObject.SmoothingWidth = 500 

An alternative to the mean function is the smooth function respectively the Signal Smoothing Analysis Object. This method uses a faster linear algorithm.
    The result of

Mean('DataSet' ,MEAN_ARITHMETIC + CALC_RUNNING, 501)" 

and

Smooth('DataSet' ,250)" 

is similar.
    When the smoothing is calculated, there are insufficient left and right neighbours available for the first or last SmoothingWidth values in DataSet. Unlike the mean function these values are then equated to the first or last value in DataSet.

Refer to the online help for more information.

support@weisang.com

Thanks.
    Using the Smooth function instead of the running average function speeds the process up by almost a factor of 10 !!

During execution of a programme, the running average of a dataset seems to take a very long time to calculate.
    I first tried to get the code to program a running average by recording a macro and to use it in a modified form in my own code. The problem is that I can record it but I can not execute the macro. It crashes on the line that sets the ‘Interval width’ => ‘WindowSize’.
    This is the recorded macro:
    ActiveDatabase.ActiveFolder.Object(“Mean”).Select False
    ActiveDatabase.ActiveFolder.Object(“Mean”).Select
    ActiveDatabase.SelectedObject.WindowSize = 500
    Application.UpdateAll

Therefore I use the following formula:
    .Formula = “Mean(‘DataSet’ ,MEAN_ARITHMETIC + CALC_RUNNING, 500)”

This works but is very slow for bigger datasets, especially if the averaging window is big. Is there any way of speeding up this process?

Ansicht von 4 Beiträgen - 1 bis 4 (von insgesamt 4)
  • Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.