FlexPro Forum – Discuss Your Topic!

Warnings on trying to save a large file

Home > Community > General > Warnings on trying to save a large file

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I am running FLEXPRO6 with Windows XP on a PC with 180GB hard disk and 1024 MB RAM and 2.1 Ghz processor.
    The files I am working with are quite large typically in this case 33 datasets each 5310143 lines long, This saves OK till I introduce formulas and evaluate them thus increasing the number of large datasets.
    When I try to save this I get a Flexpro Warning ‘Unspecified error’, then if I go back to Flexpro explorer and try to delete the evaluated datasets I usually get the warning ‘The compound file is too large for the current implementation’.
    I tried the above procedure on a file with a lesser number of lines (3074303) in each dataset and it evaluated and saved fine.
    I have tried saving in both a single file and several folders and files with no success.
    Any Ideas?

Bernhard KantzBernhard Kantz
    Participant

If you save FlexPro databases in one file FlexPro uses the OLE compound file format which is available under all Windows versions (Microsoft Office products use the same file format). Those files can be considered as a file system in a file, this means you can place folders (in this context called storages) and files (here: streams) into this file. There are limits in the number of streams and storages you can place into OLE compound files as well as in the size of the streams and the file itself. These limits are different on the different Windows versions and the exact limits are somewhat dynamic and not documented anywhere (at least it is not known to us).
    Normally if you are working with FlexPro you will not reach those limits and you will not notice that they exist. For users working with huge datasets or a huge number of objects we recommend to save the databases in the multi file format. This format has no such limitations and is faster for big databases. On the other hand if a multi-file database contains a huge number of objects it can take quite long when opening it in backup mode.

If you evaluate a formula the resulting value is not always saved immediately into the database. On the other hand if you are saving the database, explicitly by executing ‘Save’ or implicitly by executing ‘Save As’ the result of the evaluated formula is written into the database and then the mentioned error might occur as the multi-file copy can only be created from a saved compound file database.

To resolve this issue you should save proceed like this:

1. Open FlexPro.
    2. Create a new database by executing ‘File/New Database’
    3. Save it immediately and choose the storage format ‘In several folders and files’. This must be done because unsaved databases will be kept in single file format in your TEMP folder.
    4. Import your data.
    5. Create your formulae and evaluate them.

You should not encounter the warning mentioned above and FlexPro should run faster too.

Support
    support@weisang.com

Your suggestion works fine, my large files now save properly.
    Many Thanks.

I am running FLEXPRO6 with Windows XP on a PC with 180GB hard disk and 1024 MB RAM and 2.1 Ghz processor.
    The files I am working with are quite large typically in this case 33 datasets each 5310143 lines long, This saves OK till I introduce formulas and evaluate them thus increasing the number of large datasets.
    When I try to save this I get a Flexpro Warning ‘Unspecified error’, then if I go back to Flexpro explorer and try to delete the evaluated datasets I usually get the warning ‘The compound file is too large for the current implementation’.
    I tried the above procedure on a file with a lesser number of lines (3074303) in each dataset and it evaluated and saved fine.
    I have tried saving in both a single file and several folders and files with no success.
    Any Ideas?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.